Play Now!

Thread: Possible Downtime in April

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The Infection of Lands

Quote Originally Posted by Setsuna View Post
    We haven't seen Jeremy in ages. We didn't really get along with him.

To try and summarize briefly, Sean was the original owner after Storm yielded Anfiniti. Over time, Sean wanted to make Anfiniti into a personal Facebook for Anfiniti/RPGP people. He eventually started a new forum altogether (nicknamed Newfiniti) while "Oldfiniti" was shut down. When "Newfiniti" stopped being active he gave upon it and Indigo was left with the databases. Indigo reopened "Oldfiniti" and it was once again the official forum. During that period, Indigo made me Administrator, because I was interested in it and he was far too busy (he does programming IRL now and does not do it in spare time as much now). Eventually, Indigo stopped hosting Anfiniti, and I became the official sysadmin/webmaster from there. This is all over the course of time since 2005, when Anfiniti and RPGP initially split.

As a side note, Sean blamed trolls for Anfiniti's demise. Not the fact that everyone's older and has jobs and possibly a family, and that forums are going out of style with the advent of social media. At one point, he had driven all the "problem" people away (I was one of them), and the site still failed, because people didn't need a second Facebook to pile onto their increasingly-limited online routines. I remember finally leaving, truly believing that it would fail, and I wanted to prove it by not giving Sean a person or "people" to blame. He sucked the life out of the site, and removed the content that made it unique and special to its members. Since then, I've done more work for Anfiniti than he or anyone (besides Indigo) has ever done.

So if he happens to be here (which I doubt), he can suck it.
    No worries, he's not here. I just got Scott to resurface though. I was trying to redirect him here. Thought maybe the 3 of you could collab on something.

I'm gonna get into coding more myself. I find it Ironic Sean blamed trolls for Anfiniti. He literally unleashed his trolls on everyone of my attempts at a forum. Idk if you know me I use to go by Vengeance or Killer Instinct. I ran AS-Games.net, Twisted Carnage Gaming, and Project Calamity. The last one, they hacked eith an SQL Injection.

Quote Originally Posted by Virus View Post
    No worries, he's not here.
    Part of me wished he was so I could tell him to suck it.

Quote Originally Posted by Virus View Post
    Idk if you know me I use to go by Vengeance or Killer Instinct. I ran AS-Games.net, Twisted Carnage Gaming, and Project Calamity. The last one, they hacked eith an SQL Injection.
    Yeah, I remember you. I didn't take part in those raids, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I had a few laughs at your expense. I wouldn't tolerate that kind of thing these days. I'm a big supporter of the free software movement and I think, with that, comes a broader view of hacking. Hacking originally meant customizing and designing software -- making your computer work for you. It's a playful term that has its roots in the early '70s, and "hacker" was a title bestowed upon you by other skilled developers. Cracking (criminal hacking) is what the media means when they say "hacking". Cracking demonstrates a really poor grasp of software, and more specifically, software freedom and privacy. Anyone who is good at cracking would make money doing it as a white hat. Gray hats are edgey tryhards who think their moral code is the only code you can live by, and black hats are le ebin anonymouse xD script kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
    That is so funny you say that about Sean. I always figured he would be the one to cause Anfiniti's demise. He has so much hatred towards people, including myself.
    Anfiniti's decline in activity was inevitable. Sean refused to see that and sucked all the life out of the place in a vain effort to capitalize. When his dream of high post counts and monetized page loads didn't come to fruition, he just gave up and quit. I agree, he had a general disdain for his members. It was all about post counts. Even if it meant a forum full of "Let's Count to 100,000" and "What are you listening to?" threads. Those days, there were lots of posts, but zero content. These days, it's all shitposting and all culture. Sure, we average 0.5 PPD, but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
    You probably remember me as the infamous "dragon boy" from back in the day. I think it would be awesome if you guys collaborated and made something great.
    I remember both of your aliases. I don't think you're infamous in any bad sense of the word. At least you're not DragonLord3688 or 2-KDragon.

Quote Originally Posted by AllenSam View Post
    I still have the "post for gold" feature, but only because I don't have proper PVE yet, so gold is very hard to get with so few players.
    For PvE, I have an "infinite quest" system planned, where you can get a procedurally generated quest from a list of topics, npcs, and resources. The resources are persistent, and money is earned from your faction. The factions are paid by "The Dealer", who requires mercenary (player) services and crafts resources in a limited quantity. The Dealer is then paid by merchants who by his resources for their stock. The stock is then paid for by players, who are in turn paid as mercenaries by their respective faction (in intervals, similar to FF8). Capital is slowly introduced by the starting wallets of new players, which in turn allows merchants to increase their stock to meet demand.

It will require lots of testing once I have a working demo of the system, but the idea is to have have a system where resources and money are persistent, have a limit in quantity and time, and every transaction has a meaning and can be tracked. This should create realistic value and prices can be set, not on guesswork, but on real demand for resources.

If you're interested in this kind of thing, read up on game theory. It's a subset of economics and I've found a few books at my local book store on the subject.